The 21st century is all about digital transformation. And everyone is trying to expand their businesses online to seize more business opportunities. With 6.3 billion smartphone users worldwide, mobile applications are the most effective way to engage with your customers online.
Mobile Operating Systems’ Market Share Worldwide
And, for a smartphone, Android is the most pragmatic platform for app development. Android devices dominate the world by holding 70% of the market share. To acquire this market, businesses must create apps compatible with Android devices.
However, most people are still unaware of which programming language is better for developing Android applications: Kotlin or Java. As a seasoned Android App Development Company, we’ll try to explain things as simply as possible. So that people can understand the difference between Java & Kotlin and choose the best option for developing an Android app.
In this article, we will try to cover some of the most common user queries, such as:
- What is Java?
- What is Kotlin?
- Usage Statistics of Java & Kotlin
- Difference Between Java & Kotlin
- Kotlin V/S Java: Which Is Better For Your Business?
What is Java?
Java is a network-centric, multiplatform, object-oriented programming language. It’s a popular programming language. Sun Microsystems introduced it in 1995 as a computing platform. Later, Oracle Corporation acquired it.
Important Features of Java
The key features of Java are listed below.
- In Java, developers write code once, and it will run on nearly any computing platform.
- It is meant to be utilized in the development of object-oriented applications.
- The language is multithreaded and has automatic memory management.
- Since Java is network-centric, it facilitates distributed computing.
Advantages of Java
Here are some interesting Pros of the Java programming language.
- There is a vast array of third-party libraries available for Java.
- The concept of exceptions makes error detection and resolution easier in Java.
- Java has extensive documentation, making learning more simple & easier.
- Java has a huge developer community.
- Java makes it simple to create reusable code and standard programs.
- Java libraries are simple to navigate.
- It is faster than many other programming languages and thus offers superior performance.
- Java’s multithreaded environment enables users to run multiple programs simultaneously.
Disadvantages of Java
Here are some interesting Cons of the Java programming language.
- JIT compilers make programs slower than those written in other languages.
- In comparison to other languages, Java syntax is somewhat complex.
- It uses a significant amount of system memory and has high processing requirements.
- It’s not easy to get new Java enhancements in mobile development.
- Test-driven development for Java involves More coding because it is a verbose language, which raises the possibility of mistakes or bugs.
- It’s not ideal for designing Android APIs.
Popular Application Built Using Java
Popular Application Built Using Java
Both Java and Kotlin are great options for creating cutting-edge Android applications. However, to get the most out of these frameworks, you must hire an android developer in your firm. Or you can outsource your project to a reliable Mobile App Development Company or Android App Development Company. Here are some well-known companies whose apps were created with Java:
- NASA World Wide
What is Kotlin?
Kotlin is the latest open-source programming language that can be executed on the Java Virtual Machine (JVM). The language is compatible with many platforms. It is a language that combines functional programming with object-oriented programming (OOPs) to create an open, independent, and unique platform.
Striking Features of Kotlin
Here are some key Kotlin features.
- Kotlin reduced the coding work.
- Kotlin makes good use of the JVM, combining the advantages of OOPs and functional programming.
- It felicitates fast compilation.
- Kotlin can support many extension functions without requiring code changes.
- Developers can use an IDE or the command-line interface to write Kotlin code.
- Smart feature casting enables you to reduce application costs and enhances the application’s speed or performance.
Advantages of Kotlin
Following are some noteworthy Pros of the Kotlin programming language.
- Kotlin code is smaller than Java code, which contains fewer bugs.
- Adopting Kotlin is free, and migrating from Java to Kotlin is simple, requiring only the installation of the Kotlin plugin and the addition of Gradle build files.
- Kotlin is capable of working with Java
- Kotlin is immune to Null Pointer Exceptions.
- It allows developers to use the Anko library and over 2000 Kotlin projects on GitHub.
- It allows you to create APIs with smart extensions.
- Kotlin enables auto-completion features for projects in Android Studio and aids in compile-time error detection.
- When compared to Java, there are fewer app crashes.
Disadvantages of Kotlin
Following are some noteworthy Cons of the Kotlin programming language.
- Kotlin is newer than Java and has a small developer community, meaning fewer resources are available to find solutions.
- The steep learning curve makes switching teams to Kotlin difficult.
- Kotlin generates a large boilerplate corresponding to JVM bytecode because it is a highly declarative (non-procedural or high-level) language.
- It has a slower compilation time than Java.
- Kotlin matches weak patterns, which makes initial code readability difficult to read and understand.
- Finding a good mentor for your team can be challenging because skilled Kotlin developers are still hard to come by.
Popular Application Built Using Kotlin
Popular Application Built Using Kotlin
Both Java and Kotlin are great options for creating cutting-edge Android applications. However, to get the most out of these frameworks, you must hire an android developer in your firm. Or you can outsource your project to a reliable Android App Development Company. Here are some well-known companies whose apps were created with Kotlin:
Usage Statistics of Java & Kotlin
Most Used Programming Languages Among Developers Worldwide
Difference Between Java & Kotlin
Personal preferences drive the decision between Kotlin and Java for app development. However, before switching to any framework, it’s essential to understand the differences between Kotlin and Java. We’ll go over it in-depth below.
|Point of Differences
|Java does not provide any extension functions.
|Kotlin allows users to write extension functions.
|Java programmers create a large number of elements to create classes.
|When it comes to data classes, Kotlin doesn't require much work.
|Java allows for implicit conversions.
|Implicit conversions are not available in Kotlin.
|The Java programming language includes null variables and objects.
|Kotlin has no null variables or objects.
|Java is only capable of object-oriented programming.
|Kotlin combines object-oriented and functional programming features.
|Java makes use of static members.
|Kotlin does not support static members.
|Secondary constructors are not allowed in the Java language.
|Kotlin allows for the use of one or more secondary constructors.
|Java strings, unlike Kotlin, do not accept expressions.
|The Kotlin string template also accepts expressions.
|In Java, code deployment is challenging.
|Code deployment is much easier in Kotlin.
|A semicolon is required in Java programs.
|Semicolons are not necessary for Kotlin programming.
|Java has only two coroutine options: 1) Rx Java and 2) Project loom.
|A coroutine is a concurrency design pattern in Kotlin that can be used to streamline code
|Java offers wild-card support.
|Wild-card types are absent from Kotlin.
|Null Pointer Exception
|Java and Android were primarily developed due to the Null Pointer Exception.
|The kind of mechanism used by Kotlin has built-in null safety.
|In Java, the smart cast feature is not supported.
|In Kotlin, the smart cast capability is accessible.
|Variable Data types
|Variable data type requirements are necessary for Java.
|Kotlin does not need the specification of variable data types.
|In Java 8, lambda expressions are added.
|Kotlin supports Lambda Expression.
|Java does not have this Lazy loading feature.
|Kotlin has a feature called lazy loading.
|Java lacks support for language scripting.
|Developers can use Kotlin directly in their Gradle build scripts thanks to Kotlin’s language scripting features.
|OOPS Programming Model
|Java supports the OOPS programming model.
|Kotlin supports contemporary programming ideas like extensions, delegates, and higher-order functions.
Kotlin V/S Java: Which Is Better For Your Business?
First and foremost, despite their differences, Kotlin and Java both compile to bytecode. As a result, developers can quickly convert Kotlin code to Java code and vice versa. This allows both languages to be used in the same development project.
As we’ve discussed, Kotlin has a lot of benefits for developing Android apps, but is it superior to Java? Well, it does have certain advantages over its rivals, such as
- less code is needed
- Deployment is compact and compiles more quickly.
- Enables coroutines
- It is interoperable with Java’s frameworks and libraries.
- There isn’t any NullPointerException
Still, we shouldn’t overlook Java’s own advantages, which include:
- It has strong coding.
- Multiplatform compatibility for nearly any server, operating system, or device
- Java is used to build Android.
- It has been around longer. Therefore, it has a larger community, documentation, and a large ecosystem with numerous libraries and tools.
Now that we’ve emphasized the advantages of each language, it’s even more difficult to select between Kotlin and Java, right? So, let’s adopt a more realistic approach.
In recent years, Kotlin has emerged as the new Android language. Its success results from the language’s introduction of essential aspects such as extension functions, lambda expressions, high-order functions, coroutines, and no NullPointerExceptions. All these features significantly simplify the lives of developers. And also confirms that Kotlin is superior to Java for Android development and will likely rule the market soon.
Both Kotlin and Java are important programming languages. You must select the best one while keeping your project requirements in mind. We understand that selecting the best technology is always difficult. Especially for non-techie people.
Therefore, we strongly advise you to seek expert guidance from a reputable Android app development company. They will assist you in selecting the best technology for your project.
Windzoon is a professional web app development company with over a decade of experience. Our skilled android app developers provide exceptional android app development services on time. To get a quote for our convenient and profitable services for your company, feel free to visit Windzoon.com.
Kotlin vs Java: Which is Best for Your Next Android App Development Project?
Soham Trivedi is a co-founder of Windzoon Technologies and has been working as a business development manager for more than 10+ years. He is mastered in business management but his passion for writing has driven him toward the content writing field. Apart from being a business development manager, Soham Trivedi is a successful content writer and a technology lover and has been writing across various disciplines.